Accessible Customer Service Policy
Ontario Waterway Cruises Inc. is committed to excellence in serving our passengers including those with disabilities. Please note that the Kawartha Voyageur is not “wheelchair accessible” at this time and in this regard we are not able to provide our services to any person who is “confined” to a wheelchair.
We will ensure that our staff members are trained and familiar with any assistive devices we have on board that may be used by passengers with disabilities. We have one cabin that is suitable for any passenger who requires a walker and there is an elevator between the cabin deck and the dining room/lounge area available for anyone having difficulty with stairs. The narrow stairway leading to the top deck has a handrail on each side.
We will communicate with people with disabilities in ways that take into account their disability.
We welcome people with disabilities and their service animals. However, due to the limited space on board ship, it is necessary for us to contact and notify any passengers who have already booked to ascertain whether they have an allergy to the particular service animal. If there is an allergy issue with a passenger who is already booked on that particular cruise, we would not be able to accommodate the service animal on that particular cruise.
A person with a disability may be accompanied by a support person. The cruise fare for the support person will be the same as the fare for any other passenger. Please note that our fares are based on double occupancy and that there is a 75% supplement charged for any single occupancy of a double cabin.
Notice of temporary disruption
In the event of a planned or unexpected disruption to our elevator service between the cabin deck and dining room/lounge area, Ontario Waterway Cruises Inc. will notify passengers promptly with a clearly posted notice on the elevator doors and provide related details by way of announcements on the public address system. Any passengers who are dependent on the elevator service will be contacted directly by a ship staff member to discuss alternatives.
Ontario Waterway Cruises Inc. will provide accessible customer service training to all employees who deal with our passengers within 30 days of commencing employment.
Training will include:
- An overview of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the requirements of the customer service standard.
- A review of Ontario Waterway Cruises Inc. Accessible Customer Service Plan and related policies.
- How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities
- How to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person.
- How to use the elevator or any other device or equipment on board ship that may assist any passengers with disabilities.
- What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty in accessing the services of Ontario Waterway Cruises Inc. (e.g. taking the necessary actions to determine if and how boarding or disembarkation can be achieved safely when the proximity of the dock to the ship presents an obstacle)
Passengers who wish to provide feedback on the way Ontario Waterway Cruises Inc. provides goods and services to people with disabilities can contact our office by telephone, regular mail or email. Options while onboard the ship include the suggestion box or speaking directly to the Captain. All feedback, including complaints, will be directed to the Captain for evaluation and response. Passengers can expect to hear back within 30 days.
Modification to this or other policies
Any policy of Ontario Waterway Cruises Inc. that does not respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities will be modified or removed.
A printed copy of this document is available upon request. Please advise if an alternative format is required.